Monday, December 13, 2010

December 13, 2010

Today was filled with huge leaps in progress. Though we are still in fear of bacteria spread from Mom's lungs, she was up and about today. They put her in a chair so that she could sit up, which made her much more comfortable and even led to a few smiles. She remained off of the respirator for the majority of the day as well.

After having spent the morning with Dad at her side, she had a wonderful afternoon communicating with her nurses and family. With the help of my best friend Megan and aunt Cheryl, Mom was able to communicate some of her concerns. They were able to talk about Christmas and, with a bit of guesswork, realize that Mom was concerned about the gifts that she had stashed in her office for everyone and the cookies that need to be made for the Jim Witt Mechanical (our family business') Christmas baskets. This is a mind frame that only a true mother could have in such circumstances. More specifically, a mind frame that only my Mom could have.

She asked about everyone and quite obviously misses all of us. She was able to laugh and find humor in even her own mistakes and cuddle a bit with dad when she felt insecure. She was a bit scared this evening, of what exactly we are unsure, but Dad sat beside her and let her lean against him until she could calm down and fall in to a more restful state. With only our short phone conversation is was obvious that this bit of consolation that he could finally offer Mom was an absolute relief to him. Finally having the chance to help her in any way will be a gift from God in and of itself.  Overall, it was a wonderful day that will hopefully set the tone for the days to come. With our support, constant acknowledgement of her strength and dedication, and some serious anti-bacterial soap, she is bound for further progress.

She is set to go into surgery sometime tomorrow (Tuesday) to finish grafting her right arm. We can continue to pray that she is squeaky clean and that all goes well so that she can heal quickly and get back to moving and miming for us all.

12 comments:

  1. What wonderful news!!! My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. May peace be with you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! I will continue to pray and hope her strength continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your blog via NieNie. I will pray for your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina, After hearing the news from your dad and reading this i am sure you know how very happy I am. I can not begin to explain. But what I do know is God is amazing and we are all receiving our Christmas wish. Love all of you very much Love KK

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just incredible news pure joy!! I want to commend the burn center in Phoenix for helping her make such giant strides along with all the love and prayers given to her and your family!! Great joy and Thank You Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday (Monday) was such a breath of fresh air. Walking back to her room was like walking into a party! She had her chair facing the hallway and all the nurses, doctors, and different hospital staff were walking by commenting and celebrating her progress with the family. Nadine wanted to see everything that was going on and even chuckled at a few nurses as they scurried around fussing over their work. She was in such good spirits and back to her usual selfless, loving, caring self. She just radiates hope and strength and being able to witness that was such a special moment and continues to bring tears to my eyes. I wish there was a way to share the feeling of yesterday with everyone, but just know that it was truly a blessing and special in so many ways. I know that there will be more days like these in the future and just being able to say that with some conviction is a good feeling.

    "Someone shop!" is what Nadine mouthed to a nurse about Christmas. Trina is right, only she could be so concerned about everyone else in a time like this. She obviously doesn't realize that the only Christmas present any of us want is her! Maybe we should buy a bow and stick it on her head. She'll get it then! :)

    As if we didn't already know, Nadine is such a special person. I want to thank, sincerely, all of her family, doctors, and friends (new and old) for your prayers, thoughts, and good vibes. Nadine knows that she has an army behind her in this battle and as long as we are all fighting I now that she will too. This family (Nadine, Bobby, Trina, Savannah, Natalie and Jason) are truly a unit of strength and love unlike any I have seen before and watching them come together like they have is inspiring and humbling. I am honored to be a part of this family in the small way that I am and am grateful to everyone who has helped out, even just in prayer, because this family is deserving of nothing less than the world. I love them so much, as do we all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still rejoicing in Nadine's behalf,I find Isaiah 40:31 very fitting. "I shall renew my strength, I shall receive God's strength as I wait upon Him. I shall mount up with wings like eagles. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faint. All this shall happen to me because I wait on the Lord." God bless you Nadine for your shining light of Courage, Faith, Hope and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad she had a good day! I have been thinking about her in Kansas!

    www.shannyruns.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice day that must have been! Continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy Nadine can finally speak her mind again. It must have been frustrating for her not to be able to talk. I can't wait to see her on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so happy to see the good news posted today! It's a Christmas Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. What a great day. Keep the great news coming. Cheers, Jen

    ReplyDelete